Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Washer issues

I'm running into one of those small domestic joys that happens with home ownership. No, the furnace hasn't blown up (although I really hope Narwhal call back shortly so I can get the damn thing inspected) nor has any pipes burst or the fusebox exploded.

However, the washer appears to have up and died on me. I mean, a resurrection may well be possible, but those were some unfortunate grinding noises it was producing the other night right before it stopped working. As I'm not at all mechanically inclined, I'm leaving it alone for right now until a solution can be found.

Now, I'm getting to have one of those lovely northern experiences that everyone raves about so much. If your clothes washer stopped working down south, you have a couple of options. You crack up the Yellow Pages and find a repair man who will come by and take care of the problem for you. Or, barring that, perhaps you run out to Future Shop or Sears and do some shopping around. Perhaps you go and buy one of those snazzy, super energy efficient washers and a dryer.

Alas, I live in Iqaluit, so this is proving to me more...problematic. I'm into day three of my search and I still haven't really found anyone who can fix the bloody thing. Oh, there's one person, if you catch him in the right mood, who might. Haven't been able to get a hold of him. There's another, but he doesn't do these kinds of things anymore, but he might be able to swing by and take a look, if he gets a moment. Which so far hasn't happened.

I haven't had the heart to go and look at new washers yet. I know it's going to be more than a $1,000 and after the hit we took on this year's sealift, I'm really hoping that doesn't happen.

So, if any of my kind readers out there happen to know of anyone in Iqaluit who might be able to fix such beasts, kindly drop me a line. I could use all the help I can get on this. And think of it as community service. Because at some point I'm going to run out of clean laundry, and that's just good for no one, let me assure you.

Last Five
1. I can learn - The White Stripes
2. Oh, maker - Janelle Monae*
3. God, Pt. 2 - U2
4. Changes - David Bowie
5. Two sides/Monsieur Valentine - Spoon

2 comments:

Morena said...

I don't know anyone in Iqaluit but Costco will sell you one for $429.99 shipping included if it comes to that. Just a thought.

Clare said...

I feel your pain. Our washer's pump cracked while stored over the winter. Apparently draining the water using the pump itself isn't sufficient, and I should have got inside, and pulled off a hose. Lessons. Before we found out the machine was leaking into our crawlspace.

But a new pump arrives today, and I'll soon add appliance repair to my resume.